Current Road Department responsibilities are as follows:
1. All maintenance, repairs, construction and management of Madison County road right-of-way which consists of approximately 227 miles of paved roads, approximately 460 miles of unpaved roads.
2. Responsible for seventeen (17) bridge structures included on Madison County’s bridge inventory. The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) offers assistance with structure replacement.
3. Maintenance and management of the Madison County Airport located in Lee, Florida and currently under private status until a new site is constructed for Public use. Current use by permission only.
4. Maintenance and repair of all school crossing lights and several caution lights, countywide.
5. Coordination of Public Works inmate squads provided by the Madison Correctional Institution.
6. Responsible for 50% of maintenance and repair costs for railroad crossings equipped with signalization.
7. Non-standard, special, and miscellaneous projects as approved and assigned by the Madison County Board of County Commissioners.
PLEASE NOTE: The Madison County Public Works/Road Department is funded by, and operates on gas tax monies. Gas tax proceeds must be used for transportation needs as listed below:
1. Public transportation operations and maintenance
2. Roadway and right-of-way maintenance and equipment
3. Roadway and right-of-way drainage
4. Street lighting
5. Traffic signs, traffic engineering, signalization, and pavement markings
6. Bridge maintenance and operation
7. Debt service and current expenditures for transportation capital projects in the foregoing
program areas, including construction or reconstruction of roads.